Sunday, July 26, 2009

Random




This post will probably be very random, seeing as how nothing has been written for more than 6 months...but such is life. Way too busy, going by too fast, somehow blogging gets pushed to the back burner. Of course, I could be posting instead of checking out everybody else's blogs...haha...I digress :)

Summer has been very busy for us...from GA camp with Caylah, VBS at church, mission trip to West Virginia for Chris, Noah's first visit by himself to Nana's house - the summer has flown by. Only 3 weeks till the kids start school...seems unbelievable.

Quick update on both kids - Caylah continues to grow like a weed. Her foot is now bigger than mine (of course, my foot is only a measly size 5 on a good day, but still). She finished the school year with all sorts of awards and on a 6th grade reading level, straight A's...she has been taking gymnastics this summer and really enjoys it. She moved up to the next level, so she was really excited about that. We are very proud of her and blessed to have such a wonderful daughter.

Noah continues to have an unnatural boundless amount of energy. It makes me tired just watching him constantly move, talk, and just be. His command of the English language is astounding for only being in America for 1 1/2 years. He is so full of energy, life, and enthusiasm. He and I were looking through some pictures Saturday of right after we got home December 2007. I noticed something in them I never saw before, and that was how scared and timid he looked in those first couple months. It made me realize just how far he has come in so many areas, and how strong our bond and attachment to him is. It's like he was always with us. I can't imagine what our life would be like without him.

I have been thinking a lot over the last months about how our adoption experience has changed me. I have come to many conclusions, but one that sticks out is that I must DO something with what I have learned, what I have seen. Is it good that we adopted a child out of obedience to what God called us to do? Yes. But God calls us to so much more....because knowledge brings responsibility. I know now that all the orphan "statistics" are more than that...they are real children who need homes and families...I know because my son was one of those statistics and I saw hundreds more in Ethiopia. My eyes, my heart, my mind, my spirit have been opened to the plight of orphans, here, there, everywhere...I need to do all I can to advocate for them and help in any way that I can. I am not sure exactly what that looks like for us yet, but I know my heart is burdened now more than ever before to make a difference, somehow someway. I am praying God will show me...I know He will.

We are having an Orphan Awareness month next month at church with a love offering taken to benefit Show Hope, Steven Curtis Chapman's orphan support organization. You see, I have had the material for 9 months, but am just now doing anything with it. What can I say, better late than never? I guess so... Please pray that people's hearts and minds will be opened to adoption and supporting orphans in any way possible.

I know this was random...I will try to do better. I don't even know if anyone reads this anymore...we'll see won't we?

No comments: